Spain 1847-M CL real
This specimen was lot 928 in Classical Numismatic Group's sale of the Lissner Collection (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $302.50. The catalog description noted, "SPAIN, Reino de España. Isabel II. 1833-1868. AR Real. De Vellon coinage. Madrid mint. José Luis de Castroviejo and Eugenio de Lara, assayers. Dated 1847 M CL. (De Vellon coinage, weight of ~1.3 g). In NGC encapsulation graded MS 64. Faintly toned choice BU. Highest graded specimen. Purchased from M. Louis Teller, June 1975." This type was struck in Madrid and Seville 1837-49. The Spanish "de vellon" coinage system, used 1808-50, set twenty reales = one peso instead of the traditional eight. The coins minted using that standard were not marked in any way different from the concurrent eight reales standard, a source of confusion for collectors today, It must have been a major irritant for the inhabitants of the time. In 1850 the currency was decimalized and the twenty reales reduced to 26.91 grams.
Recorded mintage: unknown but a common date.
Specification: 1.35 g, .812 fine silver, .039 troy oz ASW (not 3.38 g as stated in the SCWC), this specimen Ø14 mm, 1.47 g, 12h axis.
Catalog reference: Cayón-16805, KM 518.1.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Teller, M. Louis, and Victor England, Jr., The Richard Lissner Collection, Lancaster, PA: Classical Numismatic Group, 2014.
- 1842-M real de vellon
- 1843-B 80 reales
- 1847-Seg 2 maravedis
- 1847-JA 4 maravedis
- 1847-Seg 4 maravedis
- 1847-JA 8 maravedis
- 1847-M 2 reales
- 1847-B 4 reales
- 1847-M pattern 20 reales
- 1847-S 80 reales
- 1848-M real de vellon
- Coins and currency dated 1847
- return to Spanish pre-decimal coinage (maravedis, reales and escudos)