Spain 1772-S CF 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 23599 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2020), where it sold for $1,680. The catalog description noted, "SPAIN. 8 Escudos, 1772-S CF. Seville Mint. Charles III. NGC Unc Details--Cleaned. A boldly struck example of the type with sharp detail on the devices and luster remaining in protected areas. Details grade due to cleaning, which is visible as fine hairlines on the obverse." This doubloon was struck at the Madrid and Seville mints 1772-84. Unlike the Latin American mints which concentrated on eight escudos, the most common Spanish gold coins of the period were the half escudo and two escudos. Spanish eight escudos are very rare. The bust type was introduced to the Spanish mints in 1729.
Recorded mintage: unknown but not rare.
Specification: 27.07 g, 0.901 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-283; KM-409.2; Cal-Type 29 #251; Onza-954, Cayón-12836.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The January 2020 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.
- Spain 1772-Seg maravedi
- Spain 1772-Seg 4 maravedis
- 1772-M 8 reales
- 1772-S 8 reales
- 1772-M ½ escudo
- 1772-Seg maravedi
- 1772-M 2 escudos
- 1772-M 4 escudos
- 1772-M 8 escudos
- 1773-M 8 escudos
- 1773-S 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1772
- return to coins of Spanish pre-decimal coinage (maravedis, reales and escudos)