Spain 1740-S PJ 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 1179 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 28 (Winter Park, FL, November 2020), where it sold for $780. The catalog description noted, "Seville, Spain, gold bust 2 escudos, Philip V, 1740PJ. Bold but polished AU with mounting mark at top and several small marks." This type was struck 1730-42 at Seville (shown here) and 1730-34 at Madrid. It is not listed as expensive but many, such as this one, are damaged.
Reported Mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, 0.199 troy oz AGW, this specimen 6.70 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9757, Cal-1993; KM-353.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 28, featuring the Dr. Peter Jones and John O'Brien collections, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2020.