Spain 1595-S B 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 60 in Sedwick sale 25 (Winter Park, FL, May 2018), where it sold for $1,904. The catalog description noted, "Seville, Spain, cob 2 escudos, 1595 date to right, assayer B below mintmark S and denomination II to left. Broad flan with choice full date (the last digit possibly punched over a 4) and S-II-B and crown (some die rust on that side), full shield and cross, XF with some central weakness." This type was struck 1588-97 and also comes undated. Cob two escudos were also struck at Burgos, Cuenca, Granada, Toledo, Valladolid and Segovia.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.87 g, .931 fine gold, this specimen 6.72 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-4131, Fr-169, CT-79.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 25, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2019.