Schaumburg-Lippe 1911-A 3 mark
This specimen was lot 70597 in Stack's Bowers Collector's Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, May 2018), where it sold for $144. The catalog description noted, "GERMANY. Schaumburg-Lippe. 3 Mark, 1911-A. Berlin Mint. PCGS AU-58 Secure Holder. Struck to commemorate the death of Prince Georg. Nicely toned." This death commemorative was the first issue of this state since 1904 and the last before World War One ended states coinage. It is scarce but more available than any other coinage of Schaumburg-Lippe during the Empire.
Recorded mintage: 50,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 16.67 g, .900 fine silver, 33 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM-55; J-166, Dav-495.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The May 2018 Collector's Choice Sale, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- 1904 5 mark
- 1911-E 25 pfennig
- Germany 1911-A 5 pfennig
- Germany 1911-J 5 pfennig
- Germany 1911-E 1/2 mark
- Baden 1911-G 2 mark
- Baden 1911-G 10 mark
- Baden 1911-G 20 mark
- Bavaria 1911-D 2 mark
- Anhalt 1911-A 3 mark
- Bavaria 1911-D 5 mark
- Prussia 1911-A 20 mark
- Saxe-Coburg-Gotha 1911-A 2 mark
- Wurttemberg 1911-F 3 mark KM-636 wedding anniversary
- Coins and currency dated 1911
- return to coins of German States, Schaumburg-Lippe