Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach 1908 2 mark
This specimen was lot 22687 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $168. The catalog description noted, "GERMANY. Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. 2 Mark, 1908. PCGS MS-65 Secure Holder. Struck to commemorate the 350th anniversary of Jena University. Minimally marked with satiny luster over the tone free surfaces." This type was saved in sufficient numbers as to be the most common issue from this state of the Wilhelmine era. A silver five mark accompanied this issue. The design, depicting the duke who founded the college, departs from the usual profile busts.
Recorded mintage: 50,000.
Specification: 11.11 g, .900 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM-219; J-160.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- 1901-A 2 mark
- 1908-D ½ mark
- 1908-D mark
- Baden 1908-G 5 mark
- Bavaria 1908-D 5 mark
- Hamburg 1908-J 10 mark
- Lubeck 1908-A 3 mark
- Prussia 1908-A 2 mark
- Prussia 1908-A 5 mark Dav-789
- Prussia 1908-A 20 mark
- Saxe-Meiningen 1908-D 3 mark
- Saxe-Meiningen 1908-D 5 mark Dav-841
- Saxony 1908-E 5 mark
- 1908 5 mark, Jena University
- Coins and currency dated 1908
- return to coins of German States, Saxe-Meiningen