Sardinia 1844(g) P 10 lire
"ITALY. Sardinia. 10 Lire, 1844-P. Genoa Mint. Carlo Alberto. NGC MS-63. Anchor mintmark. From a mintage of only 11,110 pieces. VERY RARE quality for this rare two-year type, presently unmatched in grade in the NGC and PCGS population reports and seldom rivaled by raw examples when they do appear in European sales. As the grade suggests, this example remains rather flashy, with light golden tone over portions of the surfaces and only slight handling. Valued in the Standard Catalog of World Coins at $5,500 in MS60 with no valuation at the MS63 level."In 1720, the duke of Savoy acquired the island of Sardinia and promoted himself to king of Sardinia. In 1799, king Carlo Emanuele IV was evicted by Napoleon and the region converted to the Ligurian Republic then annexed to France. Sardinia did not recover her independence until 1815. The king was rewarded by Metternich with the republic of Genoa, which he added to his territory and opened a branch mint there in addition to his existing mint at Turin. The Turin mint used an eagle's head as a mintmark while coins struck at Genoa sported an anchor. The ten lire was struck at Genoa in 1833 and 1844 (shown here) and at Turin 1833, 1839 and 1847.
Recorded mintage: 11,110.
Specification: 3.22 g, .900 fine gold, .093 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-1145; KM-136.2; Gig-49.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.