Sardinia 1838(t) P 20 lire
This specimen was lot 3751 in Goldberg sale 70 (Los Angeles, September 2012), where it sold for $437. The catalog description noted, "Italian States - Sardinia. 20 Lire, 1838-P. Mint mark, eagle head. Carlo Alberto. NGC graded AU-55." This type was struck 1832-45 at Turin (shown here) and Genoa (Fr-1143). Tho not rare, it is much less common than the issues of Victor Emanuel II (1850-60).
Recorded mintage: 31,000.
Specification: 6.45 grams, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-1142; Pagani-187 (R2); KM-C-115.2.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Ira and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg sale 70: The Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles, CA: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2012.