Sardinia 1838(g) P 20 lire
This specimen was lot 2586 in Goldberg sale 98 (Los Angeles, June 2017), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Italian States: Sardinia. 20 Lire, 1838 P (Genova). Mint mark, Anchor. Carlo Alberto. NGC graded AU-58." This type was struck 1832-45 at Turin (Fr-1142) and Genoa (shown here). Tho not rare, it is much less common than the issues of Victor Emanuel II (1850-60).
Recorded mintage: 120,457.
Specification: 6.45 grams, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Mont-58, Fr-1143; KM-131.2; Pagani-186.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 98: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2017.