Sardinia 1797 doppia Fr-1126
"Savoia-Sardegna Carlo Emanuele IV. 1796-1802. Doppia 1797. Brustbild nach links, darunter die Jahreszahl. Rv. Adler auf gekreuzten Zeptern unter Krone. Justiert. Vorzüglich. (Duchy of Savoy/Kingdom of Sardinia, Charles Emanuel IV, 1796-1802, doppia of 1797. Obverse: bust facing left, date below. Reverse: eagle bearing scepter, crown above. Adjustment marks, extremely fine.)"
The Duchy of Savoy was promoted to the Kingdom of Sardinia when the duke obtained that island from the Austrians in 1720. This rare and expensive coin is listed in the SCWC for 1797-1800. The doppia was originally a double ducat. Carlo Emanuele lost his throne in the Napoleonic invasions but his descendant became king of the unified Italy in 1860.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 9.116 g, .905 fine gold, .265 troy oz ASW; this specimen 9,11 g.
Catalog reference: CNI I,436,1. Fr-1126, KM 86 (formerly C67).
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- SINCONA AG, Munzen, Medaillen & Banknoten Auktion 1, Zurich, 2011.