Santa Marta 1820 1/4 real
The years 1811-1819 were the first years of liberation during the struggle for independence from Spain. The first republican coinage was issued during this period of 'La Patria Boba', except for the interval 1817-1818, when Royalists took brief control. The royalists also produced coinage from areas which were under their control longer, such as Stanta Marta.
Colonial quarter reales of the "Lions and castles" type are known from the Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) and Popayán mints for 1796-1819 (KM 63, KM 67). Cundinamarca quarter reales of debased silver are known for 1814-15 (KM F2) and 1820-22. Republican quarter reales (KM 85) are known for 1826-36. This specimen is an issue of the royalist faction in Santa Marta during the Colombian war of independence. As the royalists were finally defeated in 1821, this coin's circulation must have been brief. Surviving specimens generally show little wear but grade low due to bad strike or bad planchets. The first specimen was part of lot 12972 in Heritage sale 378 (Long Beach, June 2005) where it sold for $517.50. The catalog description reads: "Copper Siege Types, Santa Marta KM-C2 1/4 Real 1813, choice VF+ with full bold details, very scarce, and KM-B4 1/4 Real 1820, choice VF+, very attractive, plus Cartagena KM-D2 1/2 Real 1812, crude VF, and KM-D1 2 Reales ND (1811), crude VF+. All of the coins in this lot are well above average and are very attractive for this turbulent period in Colombian history. Sold as is, no return lot."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: Cayón-14893, KM B4.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- 1813 ¼ real - Santa Marta Royalist coinage
- Cundinamarca 1815 JF 2 reales
- 1799-NR ¼ real
- 1816-Pn ¼ real
- 1820 ¼ real, Nueva Granada
- Cundinamarca 1820-JF 2 reales
- 1820-JF 2 reales (Nueva Granada)
- 1820-P FM 2 reales
- 1820-P MF 2 reales
- Cundinamarca 1820-JF 8 reales
- 1820-JF 8 reales, LIBERTAD AMERICANA
- 1820-NR 1 escudo
- 1820-NR 8 escudos
- 1820-P 8 escudos
- 1820-Pn FM 8 escudos
- 1821-Ba 8 reales
- 1826-P ¼ real
- Coins and currency dated 1820
- return to coins of Colombia