Russia 1849-SP PA ruble Dav-283
This specimen was lot 3352 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $2,820. The catalog description noted, "RUSSIA. Ruble, 1849-CNB NA. NGC MS-64 PL. Sharply struck and fully deserving of the proof like designation with hard flashy surfaces and beautiful multicolored tone showing golden, blue and red hues." This type was struck 1832-58 in large quantities but is today very rare in nice condition. The preceding type (Dav-282) is very similar but with a "wings down" eagle.
Recorded mintage: 1,708,000.
Specification: 20.73 g, .868 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM C-168.1; Bit-224, Dav-283.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.