Russia 1849-CPM kopek KM-Pn117
This specimen was lot 21501 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $1,440. The catalog description noted, "RUSSIA. Kopek, 1849-CIIM. Nicholas I (1825-55). NGC MS-65 BN. Novodel. Knife-like detail exists through the design and the surfaces are without noteworthy blemishes. Despite the 'Brown' color designation, significant faded mint red remains on both sides. Very elusive as an issue and presenting great overall eye appeal for the grade." This pattern, one of hundreds listed in the SCWC, bears the mintmark of the Izhora mint in St. Petersburg which supposedly closed in 1843. No production kopeks are listed in the SCWC for 1849, there being a hiatus between 1844 and 1850. This pattern was accompanied by KM-Pn119 (2 kopeks), KM-Pn121 (3 kopeks) and KM-Pn123 (5 kopeks).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: Bit-H950; KM-Pn117; Brekke-119.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Brekke, B. F., The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia, 1700-1917, New York, Galerie des Monnaies, 1977, with 1987 supplement.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.