Russia 1797-EM 2 kopeks
This specimen was lot 379 in Sincona sale 12 (Zurich, October 2013), where it sold for 180 CHF (about US$233 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted, "2 Kopecks 1797, Ekaterinburg Mint. Extremely fine. Obv. Crown broader." This type is listed for 1797-1801 and was produced at the Annensk (mintmark AM), Ekaterinburg (mintmark EM) and Kolyvan (mintmark KM) mints. Later types were considerably reduced in weight.
Recorded mintage: 4,914,000.
Specification: 20.48 g, copper, this specimen 26.14 g.
Catalog reference: Iljin 1, Bitkin 111. GM 1.11 var. KM-C95.3.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Brekke, B. F., The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia, 1700-1917, New York, Galerie des Monnaies, 1977, with 1987 supplement.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Auktion 12: the SINCONA Collection, part 2, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2013.