Russia 1797-CM FT ruble Dav-1688
This specimen was lot 374 in Sincona sale 19 (Zurich, October 2014), where it sold for CHF 55,000 (about US$68,926 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted, "Rouble 1797, St. Petersburg Mint, CM-ФЦ. Rare. 4 roubles acc. to Iljin. 4 roubles acc. to Petrov. 4 roubles acc. to Trapeznikov. Very small striking error on obverse field (no scratch!). Choice brilliant uncirculated with full mint lustre." The SCWC records this product of the St. Petersburg mint (СПБ) for 1798-1801. The type is not rare in circulated condition. The 1797 issue, called the "heavy ruble", was 29.25 g instead of the usual 20.73 g and was likely melted down for that reason. Few survive.
Recorded mintage: 920,000.
Specification: 29.25 g, .868 fine silver, this specimen 29.40 g.
Catalog reference: KM C-101; Bitkin 18 (R). Severin 2405. GM 1.5, Dav-1688.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Shiryakov, I. V., and Jürg Richter, The Sincona Collection, Part 3 and Russian Coins & Medals from Other Properties, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2014.