Prussia 1908-A 20 mark
This specimen was lot 3224 in Goldberg sale 75 (Los Angeles, September 2013), where it sold for $1,294. The catalog description noted, "German States - Prussia. Proof 20 Marks, 1908-A. Wilhelm II. Light scuff marks in fields. Brillaint mirror surfaces. NGC graded Proof 63 Cameo." This specimen is one of a type struck 1890-1913 at Berlin (mintmark "A") and Hamburg (mintmark "J"). Most of the later dates, including this one, are common but the proofs are rare.
Recorded mintage: 3,274,168 plus a few proofs.
Specification: 7.965 g, .900 fine gold, .230 troy oz AGW, lettered edge.
Catalog reference: Fr-3831; KM 521; J-252.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Jason Villareal and Steven Harvey, Goldberg Sale 75: the pre-Long Beach Sale, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2013.
- 1906-A 20 mark
- 1908 2 mark
- 1908 5 mark
- 1908-D ½ mark
- 1908-D mark
- Baden 1908-G 5 mark
- Bavaria 1908-D 5 mark
- Hamburg 1908-J 10 mark
- Lubeck 1908-A 3 mark
- Saxe-Meiningen 1908-D 3 mark
- Saxe-Meiningen 1908-D 5 mark Dav-841
- Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach 1908 2 mark Jena University
- Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach 1908-A 5 mark Jena University
- Saxony 1908-E 5 mark
- 1909-A 20 mark
- 1909-J 20 mark
- Coins and currency dated 1908
- return to coins of German States, Prussia