Portugal 1725 800 reis
"PORTUGAL João V. 1706-1750 ½ Escudo 1725. Belorbeertes Brustbild nach rechts, darunter die Jahreszahl. Rv. Gekröntes Wappen. Sehr schön." (Portugal, John V, 1706-50, half escudo of 1725. Obverse: laureate bust facing right, date below; reverse: crowed arms. Very Fine.)This type was struck in Lisbon 1723-50 and is often catalogued as a half escudo even tho it preceded the introduction of the Spanish half escudo by some fifteen years and contained about 10% more gold. Despite the low value listed in the SCWC, this little coin is quite scarce and one should expect to pay substantially over the estimate on the infrequent occasions it comes up for sale. This denomination was last issued in 1821 during the reign of João VI. Brazilian 800 réis were struck 1727-86.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.78 g, .917 fine gold, this specimen 1,73 g.
Catalog reference: Gomes 42.03, Fr-92, KM 218.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- UBS Auction 85: Gold and Silver Coins, Zurich: UBS AG, 2010.