Philippines (1832-34) c/s 8 reales KM-73
This specimen was lot 1378 in Stacks-Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $1,527.50. The catalog description noted, "PHILIPPINES. 8 Reales, ND (Authorized October 2, 1832, commencing October 5, 1832, officially ending December 20, 1834). Type V countermark crowned F.7.0 within circle. On an 1824-DoRL Mexico 'Hookneck' 8 Reales, with defiant snake in eagles beak. RARE early date host coin. Countermark unevenly struck and slightly off center. Light wear and lightly toned. Countermark EF Details, host coin PCGS VF." This counterstamp was applied 1832-34 to Latin American pesos arriving in Manila from the newly independent republics, none of which were recognized by Spain. The SCWC lists over forty different types receiving this counterstamp.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .903 fine silver.
Catalog reference: Cayón-unlisted, KM-73; Basso-41; PNM#6-41; PNM#16-98; Cacho-Type VIII CS-034; Lopez-Chavez Yriarte-Type III group A; Gil-Crown variety 5-4-1-C (1834).
- Basso, Aldo P., Coins, Medals and Tokens of the Philippines, Menlo Park, CA: 1968.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2015 NYINC Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the John W. Adams and Ray Czabor Collections, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.
- Mexico 1824-Do RL 8 reales "hook-neck"
- "F-7" counterstamped on an Argentina 8 soles
- "F-7" counterstamped on Brazil 960 réis
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Guatemala 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Mexico pillar 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Charles IV 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Mexico republic 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Peru Libre 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Peru (Cuzco) republic 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Peru 8 reales
- "Y-II" counterstamped on a Mexico republic 2 reales
- (1834-37) "Y-II" c/s on holed Peru 8 reales
- Philippines (1834-37) c/s 8 escudos KM 141.1
- Coins and currency dated 1832