Peru 1809-L JP 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 25227 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $4,112.50. The catalog description noted, "Ferdinand VII gold 8 Escudos 1809-JP, AU55 NGC, attractive even coloration with considerable flash around the protected areas. An ever-popular four-year type with several minor planchet laminations on the reverse as is common on these early issues." This type was struck 1808-11 only and is very rare. The SCWC prices this type higher than any other eight escudos struck after 1772.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold, .761 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-44, KM 107.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.