Peru 1766-L JM 8 escudos
"1766 JM 8 escudos. Lima mint. AU-58 (NGC). Types as above. Bright yellow gold with rich orange highlights at the rims, nearly full lustre remains, fields somewhat reflective in areas, some faint adjustment marks on bust at central obverse, nicely struck for the type, only light signs of handling. This date is called very rare by Calico, and no dates are described as any more common, making this superb example an excellent choice as a type coin and very difficult to improve upon in terms of quality. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."
Recorded mintage: unknown. All the dates of this type are rare; the SCWC prices them over three times the later issues of 1772-89.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 26.95 grams, 36.70 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12779, Fr-28, Calico Onza-680, KM 70.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.