Peru 1764-L JM 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 22389 in Heritage sale 3021 (New York, January 2013), where it sold for $3,525. The catalog description noted, "Carlos III gold 8 Escudos 1764-JM, XF45 NGC, an attractive example of this early bust type with nicely struck details and considerable mint luster in the legends. There is one tiny lamination at the top of the obverse, but the surfaces on this coin are well superior to most seen in the market. Very scarce type and grade." The type was struck in Lima, Peru, 1763-68. All the dates of this type are rare; the SCWC prices them over three times the later issues of 1772-89.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12766, KM 70.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3021, featuring the Cecil Webster, Richard P. Ariagno and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.