Peru 1745-L V escudo
This specimen was lot 31098 in Heritage sale 3081 (New York, January 2020), where it sold for $5,880. The catalog description noted, "Peru: Philip V gold Cob Escudo 1745 L-V MS62 PCGS, Lima mint. An inspiring Mint State survivor hailing from a total mintage of only a few hundred examples. A review of relevant records reveals that the vast majority of examples of all dates that have come to auction are found in circulated condition, making this selection doubly desirable as not only the sole example to be certified by PCGS and NGC combined, but also preserved in exceedingly difficult Mint State condition. The central features appear well-defined and glossy, contrasting with ease against the satiny recesses, providing a sight that would be quite difficult to match, much less exceed, with any example that falls within this low-mintage series." The type was struck in Lima, Peru, 1701-44. Gold coins from colonial Peru are much scarcer than those from Colombian mints. Assayer V is listed for 1740-47. The Mexico City mint was converted to milled coinage in 1732-34 but Lima would not follow suit until 1751.
Recorded mintage: 521.
Specification: 3.38 g, .917 fine gold, this specimen 3.40 g.
Catalog reference: Fr-10, KM 35, Cayón-9616, Cal-475.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Sam Spiegel, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3081, featuring the Caranett Collection, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.