Peru 1745-L V 8 escudos
"1745 V 8 escudos. Lima mint. EF-45 (NGC). Types as above. Evenly toned yellow gold. An exceptional specimen on a large oval planchet, good central detail with bold date and other identifiers complete, bottoms of 49 clear at 11:00, some slight double striking with multiple 7s and 9s visible below center. These dies do not appear to match any of those found among the Luz treasure, which included about a dozen 1749-dated pieces of varying quality. An imposing and handsome cob 8 escudos, one which has admittedly become less elusive since Mr. Eliasberg purchased this coin in 1943 but still very rare this nice. From B. Max Mehl’s sale of the Thomas W. Voetter Collection, January 1943, Lot 286."
Recorded mintage: 50,743.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 26.94 grams, 30.80 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10079, Fr-7, Calico Onza-566, KM 38.2.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.