Peru 1712-L M 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 47 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 28 (Winter Park, FL, November 2020), where it sold for $14,400. The catalog description noted, "Lima, Peru, cob 4 escudos, 1712M, NGC MS 63 ("top pop"), ex-1715 Fleet (designated on special label), Tauler Plate Coin. Broad flan with superb full cross-lions-castles and bold but off-center pillars-and-waves, all very crisply detailed (conservatively graded, in our opinion), tied with one other for finest known in NGC census, scarce date. From the 1715 Fleet, Plate Coin #100 on page 392 of Tauler's Oro Macuquino (2011)." Cob four escudos were struck at the Lima mint 1702-12, 1736-45 for Philip V of Spain and became the "double pistoles" of pirate lore. Assayer M is listed for 1709-27.
Reported Mintage: 2,073.
Specification: 13.54 g, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz AGW, this specimen 13.43 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-unlisted, S-L28; KM-37; Cal-2006.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 28, featuring the Dr. Peter Jones and John O'Brien collections, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2020.