Overyssel 1616 daalder Dav-4860
The first specimen was lot 1890 in Stack's Coin Galleries sale (Irvine, July 2011), where it sold for $103.50. The catalog description noted, "NETHERLANDS. Lion Daalder, 1616. Standing Knight supporting shield; Reverse: Dutch lion rampant. Nearly round with small depressions on the reverse that show tool marks. ABOUT EXTREMELY FINE." The second specimen was lot 72656 in Stack's Bowers Collector's Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, October 2019), where it sold for $156. The catalog description noted, "NETHERLANDS. Overijssel. Lion Daalder (Leeuwendaalder), 1616. NGC VF-35. A charmingly toned example of these ever popular "lion dollars," a type with significance to colonial America." Lion daalders were struck in most of the provinces that today make up the Netherlands. They had a face value of forty stuivers. This type is recorded in the SCWC for Overijssel for 1606-47, 1656, 1663, 1666, 1683-84.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.68 g, .750 fine silver.
Catalog reference: Dav-4860, CG-1010.813. KM-12.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1600-1700, Galesburg, IL, 1974.
- van der Wis, Jan, and Tom Passon, Catalogus van de Nederlandse Munten geslagen sind bet aantreden van Philips II tot aan het einde van de Bataafse Republiek (1555-1806), 2nd ed., Apeldoorn, Netherlands: Omni-Trading b.v., 2009.
- Van Valen, Frank, and Vicken Yegparian, The July 2011 Coin Galleries Sale, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers Galleries, 2011.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The October 2019 Collector's Choice Sale: World and Ancient Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.
- 1611 daalder
- Tassarolo (1616-88) tallero Dav-4183 an Italian imitation
- Holland 1616 leeuwendaalder
- Utrecht 1616 leeuwendaalder
- Zeeland 1616 leeuwendaalder
- Gelderland 1641 daalder Dav-4850
- Zwolle 1646 daalder Dav-4885
- Overijssel 1620 rijksdaalder Dav-4832
- Coins and currency dated 1616
- return to coins of Netherlands, Overyssel