Mexico 1873-Cn P 5 pesos
This specimen was lot 1421 in Stack's "Vermuele, Ward & Mexico Maxico" sale (New York, January 2010), where it sold for $1,035. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Republic. 5 Pesos, 1873 Cn P. Culiacan. Bold eagle facing r. with snake in beak. Rv. Cap and Rays above scales of Justice, dagger, and scroll of laws. Lustrous, attractive surfaces with moderate wear on the high points. Well struck and pleasing for the initial year of issue for the 5 Peso coin from this mint. About Uncirculated." The Culiacan mint struck this type intermittently 1873-1903.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.46 g, .875 fine gold, .238 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 412.2, Fr-142.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Kraljevich, John, and Frank Van Valen, The Vermuele, Ward & Mexico Maxico Collections, New York: Stack's, 2009.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- 1872-Mo 5 pesos
- 1873-CH 10 centavos
- 1873-HO 8 escudos
- 1876-CN 25 centavos
- 1873-GO 50 centavos
- 1873-GA peso
- 1873-MO 2½ pesos
- 1873-ZS 2½ pesos
- 1873-MO 5 pesos
- 1873/2-Do 10 pesos
- 1873-OA 10 pesos
- 1873-CH 20 pesos
- 1876-CN 20 pesos
- Coins and currency dated 1873
- return to Decimal coinage of the Republic of Mexico, 1863-1905