Mexico 1866-M 5 centavos
This specimen was lot 39453 in Stack's Bowers Winter sale (Baltimore, November 2015), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Empire of Maximilian. 5 Centavos, 1866-M. NGC MS-61. RARE in mint state. The only example at this numeric grade with just one certified finer (MS-62). A nearly impossible to locate coin at this stratospheric level of preservation. A coin that throws off glossy light magenta color, and reveals a multitude of other shades at close inspection. Very attractive." Altho this type was demonetized as soon as the Juaristas recaptured Mexico City, it is normally found quite worn, suggesting that it circulated for many years anyway. An 1866/4 overdate is reported.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.35 g, .903 fine silver, 14 mm diameter, .039 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM-385.1.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Harper, David C. [Ed.], North American Coins & Prices, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Todd McKenna, The November 2015 Baltimore Auction, World Coins and Paper Money, featuring the Ray Czabor Collection and selections from the Strong Museum, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2015.
- 1864-G 5 centavos "Maximilian"
- 1864-M 5 centavos "Maximilian"
- Chihuahua 1866 1/4 real
- "Estado de" Durango 1866 1/4 real KM-349
- Mexico 1866-G 5 centavos
- Mexico 1866-A DL 8 reales
- Mexico 1866-A PG 8 reales
- Mexico 1866-Ca FP 8 reales
- Mexico 1866-Ca JC 8 reales
- Mexico 1866-Ca JG 8 reales
- Mexico 1866-C CE 8 reales
- Mexico 1866-Do CM 8 reales
- Mexico 1866-Ho FM 8 reales
- Mexico 1866-Ho MP 8 reales
- Mexico 1866-Mo 50 centavos Maximilian
- Mexico 1866-Go peso "Maximilian"
- Mexico 1866-Mo peso "Maximilian"
- 1866-Pi peso
- Mexico 1866-C CE 8 escudos
- Mexico 1866-Ca FP 8 escudos
- Mexico 1866-Mo 20 pesos "Maximilian"
- 1868-Mo 5 centavos
- Coins and currency dated 1866
- return to Decimal coinage of the Republic of Mexico, 1863-1905