Mexico 1866-A DL 8 reales
The first specimen was lot 9798 in Ponterio sale 151 (Baltimore, November 2009), where it sold for $4,025. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. 8 Reales, 1866-ADL. Ex: Damon Collection. VERY RARE and exceptional quality. Dark toned NGC MS-61."
The second specimen was lot 6190 in Ponterio sale 155 (Baltimore, November 2010), where it sold for $3,737.50. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Alamos. 8 Reales, 1866-DL. "I" instead of "1" in "10 D s". Slightly weak strike on eagle's breast as usual, a few small surface marks. Attractive ALMOST UNCIRCULATED." The year 1866 was the high point of the Maximilian regime and the mints were supposed to be striking his coinage, not republican designs. Despite this, Alamos (assayers DL and PG), Chihuahua (assayers JC, JG and FP), Culiacan (assayer CE), Durango (assayer CM) and Hermosillo (assayers FM and MP) all managed to issue eight reales dated 1866 which, however, remains the most difficult date to obtain of the period 1823-97.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .903 fine silver, .785 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 377, DP-As04.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, Ponterio sale 151: The 2009 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2009.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, Ponterio sale 155: The November 2010 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2010.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Dunigan, Mike, and J. B. Parker, Resplandores: Cap and Ray 8 Reales of The Republic of Mexico, 1823-1897, Beverly Hills, CA: Superior Stamp & Coin, 1997.
- 1864-A 8 reales
- 1865-C 8 reales
- 1866-A PG 8 reales
- 1866-Ca FP 8 reales
- 1866-Ca JC 8 reales
- 1866-Do 8 reales
- 1866-Ho FM 8 reales
- 1866-Ho MP 8 reales
- 1866-Go peso
- 1866-Mo peso
- 1866-Pi peso
- 1868-Oa 8 reales
- 1870-A 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1866
- return to Silver eight reales of Mexico, 1822-1897