Mexico 1839-Ga JG 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 14211 in Heritage sale 397 (New York, January 2006), where it sold for $359.95. The catalog description noted, "Republic gold 2 Escudos 1839Ga-JG 9/5, VF-XF, lightly cleaned, the overdate is probable and is unpriced in the SCWC. The most recent auction record we can find for this date is July, 1989." Guadalajara struck two escudos 1835-41, 1847-63 and 1870 and is the second commonest mint after Mexico City but this is a rare date. Our research confirms Heritage's rarity estimate, as we can find no record of one selling since.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, 0.875 fine gold.
Catalog reference: KM 380.3, Fr-91.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 397: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2005.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Long, Richard A., Gold Coins of the Early Mexican Republic, 1823-1873, North Bend, OR: Wegferd Publications, 2004.
- 1836/5-GA 2 escudos
- 1839-GA ½ real
- 1839-MO ½ real
- 1839-GO 2 reales
- 1839-ZS 2 reales
- 1839-GO 4 reales
- 1839-CA 8 reales
- 1839-GA JG 8 reales
- 1839-GA MC 8 reales
- 1839-GO 8 reales
- 1839-PI 8 reales
- 1839-ZS 8 reales
- 1839-MO ½ escudo
- 1839-GO 4 escudos
- 1839-DO 8 escudos
- 1840-GA 2 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1839
- return to Mexican imperial and republican coinage, 1822-1905