Mexico 1839-Ca RG 8 reales
This specimen was lot 389 in Morton & Eden sale 104 (London, November 2019), where it sold for £1,400 (about US$620 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted, "Republic, 8 reales, Chihuahua mint, 1839 RG, new die style, normal legends, with heavy adjustment marks on both sides, very fine to good very fine, rare." The Chihuahua mint was opened in 1811 by the royalists during the War of Independence and operated until 1822. It seems to have closed until 1831, when it resumed striking eight reales of republican design. Output must have been small as most of the dates before the 1870's are scarce to rare. The mint was closed in 1895. Assayer RG is noted for 1839-57.
Recorded mintage: unknown but rare.
Specification: 27.07 g, 0.903 fine silver, 0.785 troy oz ASW, this specimen 27.14 g.
Catalog reference: KM 377.2, DP-Ca10.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola,
WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Harper, David C. [Ed.], North American Coins & Prices, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Utberg, Neil S., The Coins of Mexico, 1536-1963, San Antonio, TX, 1963.
- Dunigan, Mike, and J. B. Parker, Resplandores: Cap and Ray 8 Reales of The Republic of Mexico, 1823-1897, Beverly Hills, CA: Superior Stamp & Coin, 1997.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- Eden, Tom, James Morton, David Kirk and Menelaos Danellis, Morton & Eden sale 104, Ancient Coins
and the Mexico Collection, London: Morton & Eden, 2019.
- 1838-CA 8 reales
- 1839-GA ½ real
- 1839-MO ½ real
- 1839-GO 2 reales
- 1839-ZS 2 reales
- 1839-GO 4 reales
- 1839-GA JG 8 reales
- 1839-GA MC 8 reales
- 1839-GO 8 reales
- 1839-PI 8 reales
- 1839-ZS 8 reales
- 1839-MO ½ escudo
- 1839-GA 2 escudos
- 1839-GO 4 escudos
- 1839-DO 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1839
- return to Silver eight reales of Mexico, 1822-1897