Mexico 1838-Go PJ 8 reales
This specimen was lot 22299 in Ponterio sale 169 (Baltimore, November 2012), where it sold for $100. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Guanajuato. 8 Reales, 1838-GoPJ. NGC Unc Details--Surface Hairlines. Lightly toned." The Guanajuato mint operated 1812-1900 and struck this type 1825-97. During the 1830's and 1840's, Guanajuato and Zacatecas were the most prolific mints; Guanajuato issues are slightly more popular as they are readily available in nice condition. Zacatecas issues of this period were often wretchedly made. Assayer PJ is recorded for 1834-42.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .903 fine silver, .786 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM-377.8, DP-Go20.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Dunigan, Mike, and J. B. Parker, Resplandores: Cap and Ray 8 Reales of The Republic of Mexico, 1823-1897, Beverly Hills, CA: Superior Stamp & Coin, 1997.
- Harper, David C. [Ed.], North American Coins & Prices, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 169: The November 2012 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2012.
- 1837-Go 8 reales
- Tuxtla 1838 1/4 real, fantasy or salesman's sample
- 1838-GA ½ real
- 1838/7-GO ½ real
- 1838-MO ½ real
- 1838-ZS real
- 1838-GO 2 reales
- 1838-DO 8 reales
- 1838-GA 8 reales
- 1838-PI 8 reales
- 1838-ZS 8 reales
- 1838-DO ½ escudo
- 1838-DO escudo
- 1838-GO 4 escudos
- 1838-DO 8 escudos
- 1838-GO 8 escudos
- 1838-MO 8 escudos
- 1839-Go 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1838
- return to Silver eight reales of Mexico, 1822-1897