Mexico 1799-Mo FM 8 escudos
This type was struck 1791-1808 and is fairly common; the astronomical price realized is a result of the high grade.
"Mexico. 8 Escudos, 1799 Mo-FM (Mexico City). Charles IV, 1788-1808. Draped and cuirassed bust of Charles IV right. Reverse: Crowned arms, Order of Golden Fleece around. Superior, even strike, on watery to satiny fields. Devices softly lustrous and cameo-like. Extraordinarily clean fields for these large gold coins. Very Rare in this grade, and undoubtedly one of the finest known. NGC graded MS-65.
"Mexico City, the second largest city in the world today, has a long and important history. It was the capital of the Aztec Empire, and was then known as Tenochitlan. It was founded in 1325. It is situated at an altitude of 7,349 feet, which guaranties its mild climate. Mexico City is located on a small island, and the Aztecs had built numerous causeways connecting the central island of the city to the shoreline. These causeways are the origin of the modern day calzedas which are some of the main avenues of the city today."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold; this specimen: 27.01 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-14533, Fr-43; KM 159.
- >Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- 1798 8 escudos
- 1799 ¼ real
- 1799 ½ real
- 1799 real
- 1799 2 reales
- 1799 4 reales
- 1799 8 reales
- 1799 escudo
- 1799 2 escudos
- 1799 4 escudos
- Bolivia 1799-PTS PP 8 escudos
- Colombia 1799-NR JJ 8 escudos
- Colombia 1799-P JF 8 escudos
- Chile 1799-So DA 8 escudos
- Peru 1799-L IJ 8 escudos
- 1800 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1799
- other specimens in The Millenia Collection.
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822