Mexico 1799-Mo 1/4 real
The first specimen was lot 1200 in Sedwick sale 25 (Winter Park, FL, May 2019), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Mexico City, Mexico, 1/4 real, 1799/8, NGC MS 63. KM-62; CT-1398. Choice strike and nice luster, starting to tone. NGC #4825086-005." The second specimen was lot 23176 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2020), where it sold for $456. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. 1/4 Real, 1799/8-Mo. Mexico City Mint. Charles IV. NGC MS-64. An uncommonly nice cuatrillo with bold overdate, bold strike, and attractive gray toning with magenta highlights." This specimen, the smallest silver coin struck in colonial times, is an example of a type struck 1796-1816 thru the reigns of Charles IV and Ferdinand VII. The type is not rare tho slightly scarcer than contemporary half or one reales. Harris notes the following mints, in order of abundance: Santiago (commonest), Mexico, Lima, Guatemala, Potosi, Nuevo Reino and Popayán (rarest). The Republic of Mexico struck a silver quarter real 1842-63. It is not recorded if this coin circulated in the United States, but if so, it would have had a face value of 3-1/8 cents.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 0.84 g, .896 fine silver.
Catalog reference: Cayón-13153 (overdate), KM-62; CT-1400.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 25, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2019.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The January 2020 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.