Mexico 1790-Mo FM 8 reales KM 108
The first specimen was lot 1101 in Goldberg sale 46 (Beverly Hills, May 2008), where it sold for $1,450. The catalog description noted, "Mexico. 8 Reales, 1790-Mo-FM (Mexico City). Charles IV, 1788-1808. 'Imaginary' bust of Charles IV right. Reverse: Crowned arms between pillars. Very slight weakness at cheek of portrait, otherwise finely struck and very lustrous. Fields prooflike, and lightly toned. NGC graded MS-60 Prooflike." This date is no scarcer than preceding or succeeding dates but brings a premium from type collectors seeking an example of the transitional bust.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .896 fine silver, .780 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: WR-12a; KM 108.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- 1790 4 reales
- 1790 2 reales, Carolus IV
- 1790 2 reales, Carolus IIII
- 1790 8 reales Carolus IV
- Peru 1790-L IJ 8 reales
- 1790 4 escudos
- 1790 8 escudos, Carolus IV
- 1790 8 escudos, Carolus IIII
- 1791 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1790
- other specimens in The Millenia Collection.
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822