Mexico 1760-Mo M real KM-76.2
This 1760 one real is one of a series struck 1747-1760 for Ferdinand VI. It displays an imperial crown atop the pillar to the left of the globes. Prior to 1757-1758, both crowns were of the royal type. There are two main varieties for 1760, as the king's name was changed on the coinage during the year. The shown variety is posthumous, as Ferdinand had already died in 1759. This particular example is listed by Gilboy as very rare, and is considerably more difficult to find than the variety with Carlos III.
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Specification: 3.38 grams, 0.917 fine silver, 0.099 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10365, Gilboy M-1-35, KM 76.2.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Fractional Pillar Coinage of Mexico City, 1732-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2017.
- Harper, David C., ed., North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U. S., Canadian and Mexican Coins, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- 1759 1 real
- 1760 ½ real Ferdinand VI
- 1760 ½ real Charles III
- 1760 real Charles III
- 1760 2 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1760 2 reales Charles III
- 1760 4 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1760 4 reales Charles III
- 1760 8 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1760 8 reales Charles III
- 1760 escudo
- 1760 2 escudos
- 1760 4 escudos
- 1760 8 escudos
- 1761 1 real
- Peru 1760-L JM real
- Spain 1760-S JV real
- Coins and currency dated 1760
- On the Pillar Coinage of Mexico, 1732-1771
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822