Mexico 1760-Mo M 1/2 real KM-68
The 1760 MoM is one of a series of half reales struck 1760-71, during the reign of Carlos III. Gilboy lists this date as uncommon. Also shown is a overdated specimen of 1760/59, which is listed by Gilboy as very rare. Half reales from 1760 were also minted with the name of Ferdinand VI (written as FRD VI). The issues of 1757-71 have dissimilar crowns atop the pillars; earlier dates have similar crowns.
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Specification: 1.66 grams, 0.917 fine silver, 0.049 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-11029 (overdate), Cayón-11030 (normal date), Gilboy M-05-37 and Gilboy M-05-37a, KM 68.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Fractional Pillar Coinage of Mexico City, 1732-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2017.
- Harper, David C., ed., North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U. S., Canadian and Mexican Coins, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- 1759 ½ real
- 1760 ½ real Ferdinand VI
- 1760 real Ferdinand VI
- 1760 real Charles III
- 1760 2 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1760 2 reales Charles III
- 1760 4 reales Charles III
- 1760 8 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1760 8 reales Charles III
- 1760 1 escudo
- 1760 2 escudos
- 1760 4 escudos
- 1760 8 escudos
- 1761 ½ real
- On the Pillar Coinage of Mexico, 1732-1771
- Coins and currency dated 1760
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822