Mexico 1737-Mo MF 8 escudos
This specimen is among the more popular rarities of Mexican numismatics, being a high grade example of a large glamorous gold coin. The 1737MoMF 8 escudos was one of a series struck 1732-47 during the reign of Philip V (1700-1746). It superseded the gold cobs previously minted. Later dates are not so rare but will still run several thousand dollars at auction.
The first specimen was lot 3096 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $9,775. The catalog description noted, "1737 MF 8 escudos. Mexico City mint. MS-62 (NGC). Types as above. Lustrous deep gold, reflective in the protected areas and highly attractive. Some light orange toning and no significant flaws. An exceptional type coin and an elusive date; Calico calls the 1737 MF very rare. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942." The second coin was lot 9003 in Ponterio sale 150 (Los Angeles, August 2009), where it sold for $4,600. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. 8 Escudos, 1737-MF. Well struck, hairlines from old cleaning, now toned. EXTREMELY FINE."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 grams, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW. This specimen: 26.93 grams, 36.60 mm.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10048, KM 148, Fr-8, Calico Onza-432.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.