Mexico 1736-Mo F 1/2 real
This specimen was lot 3123 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $1,116.25. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. 1/2 Real, 1736-F. Philip V (1700-46). NGC VG-08. EXTREMELY RARE single assayer letter variety. A seldom offered key piece of pillar coinage. Accurately graded with all elements still visible and without any surface issues. Deep old cabinet toning making for a handsome classical appearance. Sure to be a coup for the collector of pillar coinage." This 1736 half real from the Mexico City mint is an example of the first design for pillar fractionals, where the obverse legend surrounds the periphery. This design was changed in 1742 to allow the crown to extend to the rim (see the 1743 ½ real).
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.67 grams, 0.917 fine silver, 0.049 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-8258, KM-65; Cal-Type 290 #1860.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Fractional Pillar Coinage of Mexico City, 1732-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2017.
- Harper, David C., ed., North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U. S., Canadian and Mexican Coins, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.