Mexico 1732-Mo F 8 reales KM-47a
This specimen was lot 505 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 28 (Winter Park, FL, November 2020), where it sold for $450. The catalog description noted, "Mexico City, Mexico, cob 8 reales, 1732F. Oddly elongated flan with 100% full and bold date and oMF, nearly full cross, Fine+ with nicely contrasting toning, plugged hole in point below shield, somewhat scarce as non-salvage. Pedigreed to the Money Co. auction of September 1985 (lot #1121)." The silver cobs were debased from .931 fine to .917 fine in 1729. They are not rare but very scarce with legible dates. This was struck in the very year of the conversion to milled coinage.
Reported Mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine silver, 0.798 troy oz ASW, this specimen 26.63 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9347, S-M26; KM-47a; Cal-1427.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 28, featuring the Dr. Peter Jones and John O'Brien collections, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2020.
- 1730-R 8 reales
- 1730-G 8 reales
- 1732 ½ real
- 1732 real
- 1732 2 reales
- 1732 4 reales
- 1732 milled 8 reales
- 1732 escudo
- 1732 2 escudos
- 1732 4 escudos
- 1732 cob 8 escudos
- Mexico 1732-Mo 8 escudos milled
- Mexico 1732-Mo F 8 escudos milled
- Coins and currency dated 1732
- return to Mexican hammered and cob coinage, 1536-1734