Mexico 1732-Mo F 2 reales
This specimen was lot 7999 in Ponterio sale 152 (New York, January 2010), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. 2 Reales, 1732-F. VERY RARE. ABOUT GOOD/VERY GOOD." It is the first of a series struck 1732-41 during the reign of Philip V (1700-46). Later issues of this reign (1742-47) show the shield interrupting the obverse legend. This date and the 1733 are the only ones that are really rare. This type superseded the earlier cobs.
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 grams, .917 fine silver, .200 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-8815, Gilboy M-2-1, KM 84.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Fractional Pillar Coinage of Mexico City, 1732-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2017.
- Harper, David C., ed., North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U. S., Canadian and Mexican Coins, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- 1731 2 reales cob
- 1732 ½ real
- 1732 real
- Bolivia 1732-P M 2 reales
- 1732-F 8 reales cob
- 1732 8 reales
- 1732 escudo
- 1732 2 escudos
- 1732 4 escudos
- 1732 cob 8 escudos
- 1732-Mo 8 escudos
- 1732-Mo F 8 escudos
- 1740 2 reales
- 1743 2 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1732
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822
- On the Pillar Coinage of Mexico, 1732-1771