India 1918-I sovereign
This specimen was lot 50184 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $423. The catalog description noted, "INDIA. Sovereign, 1918. NGC MS-63." The Bombay mint was authorized to strike sovereigns from August 1918 to Apri 1919, all dated 1918. Altho this is the only date with the India mintmark, enough restrikes and proofs exist to make it readily available.
Recorded mintage: 1,295,000 plus proofs and restrikes.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3998, Fr-1609; KM-A525.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Stevens, Paul, and Randy Weir, The Uniform Coinage of India, 1835 to 1947, A Catalogue and Pricelist, London, Spink & Son Ltd, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.