Halifax 1815 1/2 penny token
This specimen was part of lot 29130 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $456. The catalog description noted, "Nova Scotia. Pair of 1/2 Penny Tokens 1815, 1) HALIFAX 1/2 Penny Token 1815 AU50 Brown NGC, Hair between upper two leaves in laurel wreath, medal alignment. ...From the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens." The SCWC notes that the Bank of Montreal, the Banque du Peuple and City Bank were granted the right to issue halfpenny and penny tokens, which right was exercised 1837-39, 1842-45 and 1852. However, when official provincial coinage was issued in 1858, decimal coinage similar to United States coins was chosen.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: copper, this specimen 6.05 gm.
Catalog reference: Br-889, NS-27-A3, Courteau-352.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Cross, W. K., The Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins, 47th Ed., Toronto: Charlton International, 1993.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- Canada 1815 1/2 penny token
- Magdalen Island 1815 penny token
- North West Company 1820 token
- Canada (1837-38) sou token KM-Tn5 "bouquet"
- Canada 1837 1/2 penny token KM-Tn6 "habitant"
- Canada 1837 1/2 penny token KM-Tn8 "habitant"
- Canada 1837 1/2 penny token KM-Tn9 "habitant"
- Canada 1837 penny token KM-Tn11 "habitant"
- Canada 1837 penny token KM-Tn13 "habitant"
- Coins and currency dated 1815
- return to coins of Canada