Guatemala 1772-G P 4 reales
The first specimen was part of lot 33892 in Heritage sale 3035 (Long Beach, September 2014), which sold for $411.25. The catalog description noted, "Charles III Pair of 4 Reales 1772 1777, 1772 G-P, VG...." The second specimen was lot 21005 in Stack's Bowers ANA Auction (Denver, CO, August 2017), where it sold for $3,760. The catalog description noted, "GUATEMALA. 4 Reales, 1772-P. Antigua Mint. Charles III (1759-88). NGC EF-45. RARE, first year of a three year type with single letter mintmark. The mint was destroyed in an volcanic eruption and earthquake in 1773. A new mint and capitol was established at Nueva Guatemala City and production began in late 1776 using the "NG" mintmark. Moderate wear and very attractively toned showing blue, red and golden hues with luster in the protected areas. Clearly this piece sat for a prolonged period of time undisturbed. Exceptional quality and far superior to the normally well worn examples of this issue which are normally seen. From the Richard Stuart Collection." In 1776, an earthquake demolished Antigua Guatemala (including the mint) and a new city was built some miles away. To mark the move, the mintmark was changed to "NG" ("Nueva Guatemala", still the capital of Guatemala) on all issues of 1777 and after. Assayer "P" is noted for the years 1759-85. Unlike the other colonial mints, Guatemala portrait four reales are not so rare compared to other denominations. Guatemala issues are notably cruder than other mints.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .903 fine silver.
Catalog reference: Cayón-11748, KM 35.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, and Warren Tucker, Heritage Signature Auction 3035, World and Ancient Coins, featuring the FoxLair Collection and the Law Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2017 Denver ANA Auction: Ancients, Selections from The Richard Stuart Collection & World Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.