Great Britain 2006 5 pounds KM-1062
This specimen was part of lot 34109 in Heritage sale 3076 (Long Beach, CA, September 2019), which sold for $360. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain: Elizabeth II 13-Piece Certified silver Proof Set 2006 PCGS, 1) Maundy Penny - PR68 Deep Cameo; 2) Maundy 2 Pence - PR68 Deep Cameo; 3) Maundy 3 Pence - PR68 Deep Cameo; 4) Maundy 4 Pence - PR68 Deep Cameo; 5) Penny - PR68 Deep Cameo; 6) 2 Pence - PR68 Deep Cameo; 7) 5 Pence - PR68 Deep Cameo; 8) 10 Pence - PR68 Deep Cameo; 9) 20 Pence - PR68 Deep Cameo; 10) 50 Pence - PR67 Deep Cameo; 11) Pound - PR69 Deep Cameo, KM 1059a; 12) 2 Pounds - PR69 Deep Cameo; 13) 5 Pounds - PR68 Deep Cameo; KM-Unl., S-Unl. (as a set), cf. KM-MDS265 (for Maundy pieces)." The second specimen was lot 31734 in Heritage sale 3076 (Long Beach, CA, September 2019), where it sold for $2,040. The catalog description noted, "Elizabeth II gold Proof '80th Birthday' 5 Pounds 2006 PR69 Ultra Cameo NGC. Struck for the Queen's 80th birthday. AGW 1.1771 oz. From the George Hans Cook Collection." The five pounds is often used for commemoratives, replacing the old five shilling crown. The copper-nickel version could theoretically circulate but doesn't in reality.
Recorded mintage: unknown for circulation + more for the proof sets + an unknown number struck in silver and gold.
Specification: 28.28 g, copper-nickel, 38.6 mm diameter; 28.28 g, .925 fine silver for the silver proof set; 39.94 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: KM 1062 (copper-nickel), KM 1062a (silver), KM 1062b (gold), S-4561.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 2001-Date, 13th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2018.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3076, featuring the Allen Moretti Swiss Collection and the James Mossman Collection of Canadian Coinage, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.
- 2005 5 pounds, Battle of Trafalgar
- 2005 5 pounds, bicentennial of the death of Horatio Nelson
- 2006 Maundy penny
- 2006 Maundy tuppence
- 2006 Maundy threepence
- 2006 Maundy groat
- 2006 penny, struck in silver
- 2006 2 pence, struck in silver
- 2006 5 pence, struck in silver
- 2006 10 pence, struck in silver
- 2006 20 pence, struck in silver
- 2006 50 pence, struck in silver
- 2006 pound, struck in silver
- 2006 2 pounds, struck in silver
- 2007 5 pounds, Royal 60th Wedding Anniversary
- Coins and currency dated 2006