Great Britain 1913 sovereign
This specimen was lot 2429 in Goldberg sale 103 (Los Angeles, February 2018), where it sold for $340.75. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Sovereign, 1913. George V. PCGS graded MS-63." This was issued in large numbers 1911-17 with another issue in 1925 during Britain's last attempt to maintain the gold standard. Sovereigns minted since 1937 were for collectors and bullion investors and not intended to circulate.
Recorded mintage: 24,540,000.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3996; Fr-404; KM-820.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 103: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2018.