Great Britain 1910 shilling
This specimen was lot 72157 in Stack's Bowers Collector's Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, October 2019), where it sold for $110. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Shilling, 1910. London Mint. PCGS MS-63 Gold Shield. A splendidly choice example, this piece displays a light gray brilliance with underlying radiance and an appealing golden tone near the peripheries. From the Regent Crest Collection." This type was struck 1902-10 in substantial numbers but nice specimens are scarce. This is a common date.
Recorded mintage: 26,547,000.
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 fine silver, .168 troy oz ASW, 23.5 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S-3982; KM-800.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The October 2019 Collector's Choice Sale: World and Ancient Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.