Great Britain 1905 1/2 sovereign
This specimen was lot 71696 in Stack's Bowers Collectors Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, October 2020), where it sold for $312. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Sovereign, 1905. London Mint. NGC MS-63. A boldly struck and lustrous example with a hint of tone in the peripheries." This type was struck 1902-10 in considerable numbers and is the only half sovereign for Edward VII. Proofs were made only in 1902.
Recorded mintage: 3,024,000.
Specifications: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3974B; Fr-401; KM-804.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The October 2020 Collector's Choice sale: World and Ancient Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2020.