Great Britain 1895 penny
This specimen was lot 1067 in Stack's Bowers ANA auction (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $4,406.25. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Penny, 1895. PCGS PROOF-65 BN Secure Holder. Reverse B. Toning on flashing surfaces. From the Kevin Tierney Collection." This penny was struck 1893-1901 in large numbers. The 1895 is common tho some of the minor varieties are rare.
Recorded mintage: 5,396,000 in several varieties of spacing between trident and "PENNY."
Specification: 9.45 g, bronze.
Catalog reference: S-3961; KM-790; Freeman-142.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Freeman, Michael J., The Bronze Coinage of Great Britain, Rev. Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2006.
- Peck, C. Wilson, English Copper, Tin and Bronze Coins in the British Museum, 1558-1958, 2nd Ed., London: Oxford University Press, 1970.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2014 Chicago ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the David O'Harrow Collection, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.