Great Britain 1894 shilling
This specimen was part of lot 24090 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $646.75. The catalog description noted, "Victoria and later coppers, bronzes and silver: a mixed lot of pleasing type coins, mostly Victoria and very choice, also an Edward VII Penny 1902 with luster, and a George VI Crown 1937. Some gorgeous silver coins included here, so have a good look!" This bust of the queen was used from 1893 until her death in 1901. The type is common.
Recorded mintage: 5,953,000.
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 fine silver, .168 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 780.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.