Great Britain 1894 penny KM-790
This specimen was lot 1066 in Stack's Bowers ANA auction (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $16,000. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Penny Pattern, 1894. PCGS PROOF-65 RB Secure Holder. EXTREMELY RARE. Old head issue with new style of reverse. Plain edge. Light toning on flashing red surfaces with some plum hues in drapery. From the Kevin Tierney Collection. Ex: Baldwin Collection. Ex: Norweb Collection." The regular issue was of the bun head type, so this specimen counts as a pattern. The "old head" type was struck for circulation 1895-1901.
Recorded mintage: 3,883,000 plus proofs (nearly all the bun head type).
Specification: 9.4 g, bronze, 30.8 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S-3961 (for type); KM-790 (for type); Peck-2065 (ER); Freeman-776.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2014 Chicago ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the David O'Harrow Collection, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.